Ensuring process reliability and steel quality
- The steelworks must run 24/7, 365 days a year: Any shut down causes a knock-on effect. When the flow is broken, the furnaces immediately start to cool down and can take 1 to 2 days to get back up to the correct smelting temperatures.
- European laws compliance: Reduce the amount of dust in the atmosphere on-site, as well as emissions to the Dunkirk region.
- 20 years of partnership and experience in the steel industry have helped Schneider Electric to provide the correct solutions in the right environments.
- EcoStruxure Plant architecture brings advanced connectivity for better control of the entire process from the foundry to the management offices.
- Modicon M580’s CCoF (Change Configuration on the Fly) feature allows maintenance and engineering teams to modify the automation control system without stopping the process.
- Ethernet connection makes the M580 more flexible, simple to install and easier to control remotely.
- ArcelorMittal’s Dunkirk plant has achieved greater flexibility in its operations. Its staff can now perform maintenance and make changes to the process without having to slow down or halt production.
- Dust levels are supervised in real time, so steel quality is constant and the working conditions on-site have improved.
- Thanks to Schneider Electric’s IoT-enabled solutions, the Dunkirk steelworks has secured the continuity of manufacturing and increased its overall productivity to deliver strong, reliable steel 24/7, both today and tomorrow.
Learn more about EcoStruxure for the Metals industry