Ensuring process reliability and steel quality
By implementing the EcoStruxure™ Plant architecture, ArcelorMittal’s Dunkirk plant has achieved greater flexibility of operations. Its staff can now perform maintenance and make changes to the process without having to slow down or halt production.
- The steelworks must run 24/7, 365 days a year: Any shut down causes a knock-on effect. When the flow is broken, the furnaces immediately start to cool down and can take 1 to 2 days to get back up to the correct smelting temperatures.
- European laws compliance: Reduce the amount of dust in the atmosphere on-site, as well as emissions to the Dunkirk region.
- 20 years of partnership and experience in the steel industry have helped Schneider Electric to provide the correct solutions in the right environments.
- EcoStruxure Plant architecture brings advanced connectivity for better control of the entire process from the foundry to the management offices.
- Modicon M580’s CCoF (Change Configuration on the Fly) feature allows maintenance and engineering teams to modify the automation control system without stopping the process.
- Ethernet connection makes the M580 more flexible, simple to install and easier to control remotely.
- ArcelorMittal’s Dunkirk plant has achieved greater flexibility in its operations. Its staff can now perform maintenance and make changes to the process without having to slow down or halt production.
- Dust levels are supervised in real time, so steel quality is constant and the working conditions on-site have improved.
- Thanks to Schneider Electric’s IoT-enabled solutions, the Dunkirk steelworks has secured the continuity of manufacturing and increased its overall productivity to deliver strong, reliable steel 24/7, both today and tomorrow.
Learn more about EcoStruxure for the Metals industry